Show Notes – Episode 14
The Gospel and Fear
What are the fears that hold us back? Cary and Andrew unpack a biblical view of success, the topic of fear, and how the gospel shapes our success and fear.
Review: This is part two on this topic. Listen to part one here.
4. I’m afraid success will turn me into something I don’t want to be.
There are moments in development where we feel as if we have to change who God has designed us to be for that development to happen. That is never the case.
You don’t have to become anyone other than who you already are! If God is calling you to do something, He is calling the real you.
5. I’m worried that if I become successful, I won’t have time for the things I do now.
It is not necessarily true that everyone wants their ministry to grow or develop.
If God is leading you forward, He is at the same time leading you to balance what is most important.
6. I don’t actually want things to change.
We have a routine setup that is working for us. Why would I want to mess that up?
There is an element of not wanting to grow because what we have developed in the past will become obsolete.
-A Test to Move Forward
1. Success to me is:
2. Is this really necessary for “success”?
3. Here’s what feels scary about it:
4. For each thing that feels scary: If _______________ happened, what’s the worst thing that would actually happen?
5. Here is how I could handle it though:
6. Here are some people who would help me:
7. Here is what I can do now to prepare:
*Steps taken from original author’s follow-up blog post.